Have you wanted to try something new and funky with your hair without the commitment?
I’m in law school, so it’s difficult for me to do much crazy with my style or appearance. I’m a professional individual, but I’m an individual nonetheless! Sometimes, I just want to try something fun, like putting purple streaks in my blonde hair. But I have to go to class, I have interviews, and I’m an adult. So how can I do both?
I saw the idea for hair chalking in a few places. Lauren Conrad mentioned it on her blog some time ago, and I’ve also seen it on Pinterest. I happened to be near a beauty supply store, and I stopped in to see what they had available. I picked up Beyond the Zone Color Buzz Party Purple hair chalk, and I was anxious to see how it would turn out.
- It washed out pretty easily. Some spots took two full washes, but most of it came out in the first shower.
- It looked pretty cool!
- You can put the streaks wherever you want.
- It was fun to do something different for one day/night.
- Hair chalk comes in a bunch of colors.
- IT GOT EVERYWHERE. Definitely do not do this to your hair without covering up everything you don’t want covered in chalk dust. I’m still finding it in my bathroom months later. Absolutely cover your clothes with a towel or something similar, I recommend wearing gloves if you can, and maybe do it in the shower or something so it doesn’t land all over counters, sinks, and floors. If you’re wearing your hair down, do NOT wear a light color shirt!
- When I ran a brush through my hair, it blended the color and made the streaks less pronounced.
- I expected the color to come out in the first wash (with two shampoos), but some of it didn’t. I wouldn’t recommend this technique if you have something important to do the following day.
- It was a little expensive (about $8) for something I don’t foresee using very often. If it wasn’t SO messy, I would probably consider using it more frequently. But like I said, my entire bathroom was basically covered in purple dust.
Here are some photos:
Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or recommendations in the comments!