This is a new twist on an old favorite, my To-Die-For Toffee Brownies. I substituted peppermint bark for the toffee and used Funfetti brownies because… well, let’s face it, Funfetti makes everything better! DE-LISH!
Although I used the Girahdelli squares in the photo above, I don’t think that was the best idea. I would recommend using the Peppermint Bark Bars instead. I used milk chocolate, but I think the dark chocolate would be good, too. Like the toffee bars from my previous recipe, two of these should cover the 8×8 pan pretty well. I wasn’t able to find them at the store today, but i will definitely make sure I use them next time because there weren’t enough of the squares in the bag to fully cover the pan (and it’s just not as easy!)
- Preheat the oven according to the brownie mix directions and prepare an 8×8 baking pan (I usually use cooking spray, but you can grease it the old fashioned way if you really want)
- Mix the brownie mix according to the directions on the box. I used the Funfetti mix in the photo above instead of the Betty Crocker Supreme Brownie mix with the Hershey’s syrup because I wanted something a little festive. They turned out great! The brownies were moist and fluffy, much less dense than the Supreme mix I’ve used before.
- Spread half of the brownie mix into the pan. If it’s not exact, don’t worry, but make sure there is enough to completely cover the bottom of the pan with enough left over for another full layer.
- Open the two Peppermint Bark bars and place them as a layer on top of the bottom layer of brownie mix. If you use an 8×8 pan, they will fit perfectly! If you use another pan, you’ll have to do some breaking and puzzle work, but it’s still do-able.
- Spread the rest of the brownie mix on top.
- Bake according to the box directions but subtract two-three minutes from the bake time (I believe it comes out to 42 mins. instead of 45).
- Cool, cut, and enjoy!
Even though the peppermint bark holds its shape when cooled, the peppermint flavor is fantastic. It’s not overwhelming, but not too subtle, either. I really enjoyed this new recipe. It was fun to try something new, and it’s even better when it turns out well!
I think this is a great holiday recipe, and I hope you enjoy!